“A White House Garden Cookbook: Healthy Ideas from the First Family for Your Family” by Clara Silverstein. It can be made in 20 minutes, or it can be stored, refrigerated, and heated up for a super quick meal!
1 large onion
1 green bell pepper
Several cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey or beef
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground basil
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Several fresh tomatoes, depending on size (or 1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice)
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
Tip: I suggest starting with 4 cloves of garlic and 2 cups of chopped fresh tomatoes. You can substitute 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped oregano and 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped basil for those two dried herbs on the ingredient list. Of course you can adjust everything to taste,
including the spices. It’s the people’s choice!
1. Peel and chop the onion. Wash the pepper, remove the seeds, and chop. Peel and chop the garlic.
2. In a pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are soft.
3. Add the ground meat and sauté until it browns.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, oregano, turmeric, basil and chili powder. Add to the ground meat.
5. Add the red wine vinegar to the pot and stir to combine.
6. Chop the tomatoes and add to the pot. Simmer until the tomatoes
7. Drain the kidney beans in a colander in the sink and rinse with cold water. Add the beans and cook for a few more minutes.
8. Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese,
onions and sour cream.